A young boy with terminal cancer continued battling long enough to meet his new born sister and pick her name, before heartbreakingly passing away, his folks said.

Nine-year-old Bailey Cooper was given just a few “days or weeks” to live the cancer had spread through his whole body, however, despite of the doctors diagnose, he fought with all his strength with the disease and went ahead to meet his younger sibling.

Lee and Rachel, Bailey’s parents, were given the devastated news in 2016: he was diagnosed with cancer.

At first doctors thought Bailey suffered for a viral infection and after that a chest disease, before giving him blood tests and discovering that it was non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Unfortunately the disease was already in stage three by the time it was diagnosed.

From that point Bailey immediately started chemotherapy combined with steroid treatment, and specialists were confident that he would make a recovery. By February 2017, he had gone into remission.

Father Lee told in a post: “He needed to go in for check ups and routine MRIs every three months, and things were going good for him.”

But on day, after an MRI, Bailey and his family were called back to the hospital, where the doctor told them that he had relapsed. But that was not all, the doctor told them that their son only have around 70 percent survival rate.

“He went into chemo once more,” Lee said. “The doctors were honest, and let us know that even if he survived it, the long term impacts will follow him his entire life. He had a stem cell transplant.

“We needed to do everything we could.”

But Bailey carried on battling and in July went back into remission. And he was well rewarded by getting the chance to spend an “amazing” a month and a half at home with his family, his mom said.

However, toward the end of the August, Baily was once again receiving the bad news regarding his disease, and this time specialists told the family there was nothing that could be done.

Unfortunately, the malignancy had spread and they were given the shocking news that Bailey had ‘days or weeks’ left. Rachel said:

Talking about his newborn sister, Bailey told his folks: “I need to stay but it’s my time to go to become her guardian angel.”

He passed away right on Christmas Eve, after being rushed to the hospital on 22 December.

Rest in peace brave “soldier”.